Tuesday, February 27, 2007

More gas, less football

ESPN will not be happy until they have driven me to murder. Here is a throwaway line in a story about the upcoming football season,the Marshall/WVU game and the television coverage of said game:

ESPN2 has nine Busch series races during the college football season this fall — taking away time slots that normally would have been filled by college football in the past. Eight of the nine ESPN2 Busch dates fall on Saturday. . .

The outcome of that little quote is not good. Less college football this year on ESPN. Not a problem as long as other networks pick up the slack. What? ESPN has exclusive deals with almost every conference you say? Oh, so that means just less games on Saturday so ESPN can show some cars. Great. As far as I can tell the Busch series isn't even the big time. It's some weird triple A league where some of the major stars come down to race. How is that even fair? That's like letting Gilbert Arenas play in the NCAA tournament. Now having watched the Sarah Silverman Show, I try to treat racing like I do any other blight on society such as homelessness, or AIDS, or global warming. I try to ignore it and hope it goes away. Until it effects me personally then I overreact and hilarity ensues. I don't care if ESPN wants to shove NASCAR down my throat with 700 different shows everyday and commercials every second making it appear "cool" to talk racing and how hot girls will want to have unprotected sex with you if you know who Greg Biffle is. However, if I lose one game, one single game, be it Auburn-Florida or as little as two bottom feeding MAC schools then there will be problems. If there is a college football game that isn't shown because ESPN had to show cars running in circles I will go on a spree shooting every single person I can find that thinks Larry the Cable Guy is funny. And I'll be doing society a favor.

(Update via Option Spread:) Chart listing dates of Busch series telecasts and potentially affected football games. (For all you fine EDSBS folks.)

2 comments:

Brave Sir Robin said...

If you don't like Big Red gum, then fuck you. We have a lot of fun on the racetrack, but now I want to talk to you about something serious. Packs of wild dogs that are terrorizing our cities. I move that ESPN drops a few more dollars on racing. Perhaps by creating ESPNred. This channel could be 24 hours NASCAR, thus pleasing race fans and allowing us to retain our football. I don't want to step on toes- I am sure Option is excited. But personally, I am okay with watching the last 10 laps, or better yet just give me the highlights on SC. Fuck NASCAR.

letsplaytummysticks said...

I all hopped up on Dew.